If you are a diabetic, it is best to get tips and a tailored meal plan from your doctor or a registered dietician.
If you do not have normal blood sugar level, it is recommended to follow a meal plan to keep your body healthy with a controlled blood sugar level. A meal plan gives you a perfect idea about the changes you have to make in your daily diet. This diet plan tells you how much food and what type of food you can take on daily basis.
If you follow the diet plan in a right way, you can control your high blood glucose level, cholesterol and high blood pressure. Regular exercise along with a good diet plan helps you to manage your blood glucose level.
A doctor/dietitian can help you to make a right meal plan which is best for you. A right diet plan filled with healthy food items can help you to improve your overall health and thereby reduce the chance for affecting complicated diseases such as heart disease, cancers and hypertension. A healthy diet plan always contains vegetables, fruits, non-fat dairy products, beans, whole grains, lean meats, fish and poultry. Food items rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber are better than the processed food. A healthy diet plan benefits all your family members, so all your family members can take part in this healthy eating plan.
If you are a diabetic patient, there are some nutrition tips which you should be aware of. Foods which have high glycemic index should be avoided from your daily diet. It is recommended to avoid or reduce the use of potatoes, corn, and refined white flour products such as pasta, pastries, noodles and cakes in diabetic recipes.
The use of hydrogenated oils or fats (trans fats) are not good for diabetic patients because these are connected with the development of diabetes. You should also consume more low fat or non-fat foods and reduce/avoid the consumption of butter, full fat cheeses and other dairy products. Diabetic patients should use food items which are high in fiber content and take more and more fresh fruits and vegetables. All fatty oils except olive oil should be avoided from your diet and the consumption of sugar and sugar substitutes should be avoided. Taking fish on daily basis is good for diabetic patients because fish contain high volume of DHA fatty acids. Salmon and sardines are very best to be included in your diabetic recipes. Beans, chard, lettuce, spinach, celery, cucumber and most vegetables are good to be included in diabetic recipes.
Good Habits for Diabetics
- You should take breakfast regularly in the morning to avoid feeling starved and keep away from taking other high glycemic index food from the shop around in the morning hours.
- Take at least 8 glasses of water a day. It helps the process of digestion.
- Eat 5-6 SMALL meals per day.
- Eat as many vegetables as you can that are low in GI. Raw vegetables helps to improve your energy level and fruits prevent lowering blood sugar level.
- Exercise daily as it is very important for diabetic patients. Regular exercise helps to control blood sugar level.
- Do not ingest food in large volume. Divide your meals and take it in small volume at regular intervals.
- Try to avoid alcohol.
- Reduce salt intake, it is correlated to obesity and hypertension.
For more information about diabetics and your diet please visit: http://www.diabetes.org/